SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#491594 - 03/15/20 06:52 AM "Strings and Keys " - John Smies
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

In these trying times we might find some comfort in one of our main hobbies. Over the last six weeks I have been working on a new CD.
(Note : not in any way commercially available and only recorded for friends, family and musical acquiantances). As I tend to include all of you among that last category below several links to either listen or/and download my latest efforts.
A word of explanation. Contrary to many of my previous efforts I have only recorded one song with full arranger keyboard, using the Ketron SD7. The remainder of the 15 songs have been recorded either with piano or guitar in the basis, added with extra vocals and some solo instruments. Those have mainly been played on the Ketron as well.
You can listen/download all via BOX:
(note that they often appear in reversed order whereas it is kind of important to go from 01,02,03 etc.):
https://app.box.com/s/88n93a4t1yemzyrsliqjqom5c1qscjat

You can also download the full album here, covers included:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/a28ddec...15133227/2f3e56

Looking forward to your comments and constructive criticism,
Enjoy !!

regards,
John

#491595 - 03/15/20 07:30 AM Re: "Strings and Keys " - John Smies [Re: john smies]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Congratulations John an a such a huge undertaking. A labor of love, I’m sure, but endless hours of work for sure! Thank you for sharing with us!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#491604 - 03/15/20 08:16 AM Re: "Strings and Keys " - John Smies [Re: john smies]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Congrats John! Lots of nice music with great vocals, playing, and mixing! I know this is a huge effort - so congrats and thanks for posting the link - wonderful job!

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#491684 - 03/16/20 06:55 AM Re: "Strings and Keys " - John Smies [Re: saxxman]
john smies Offline

Thank you Paul and Randy.

Don't think that 150 views here mean that the CD has been downloaded 150 times, but still there is a marked absence of any comments which is a shame really. I would like to learn from those who did bother to download and listen as to which songs they liked and the overall impression they got from it.

Regards
John

#491694 - 03/16/20 09:14 AM Re: "Strings and Keys " - John Smies [Re: john smies]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I understand your sentiment completely, John. That is why I seldom post my work, because I often feel like “ why bother” . Maybe everyone is preoccupied by the virus? Let’s hope in due time others will have the courtesy to listen and comment . Once again, thanks for your efforts.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#491695 - 03/16/20 09:24 AM Re: "Strings and Keys " - John Smies [Re: john smies]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have downloaded, but too much going on to give it the proper attention. But rest assured that I will, and I do enjoy hearing everyone's music.

#491696 - 03/16/20 09:24 AM Re: "Strings and Keys " - John Smies [Re: montunoman]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I listened to a few songs. So far sounds very well done and professional. Good use of harmonies (liked "Walk in the Room). Sd7 sounds good, guitar work very studio like, not overdone. More to listen to..

#491698 - 03/16/20 09:31 AM Re: "Strings and Keys " - John Smies [Re: john smies]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
John - I have definitely enjoyed the cuts I listened to so far! I'm sure the virus mess (and believe me it's getting very scary whether the threat is serious or not) is contributing a lot to the absence of participation. Thanks again for posting, keep the faith, and stay safe!

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#491700 - 03/16/20 09:42 AM Re: "Strings and Keys " - John Smies [Re: saxxman]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
John, I have had, and continue to have other issues that are a priority ... in due time I will get to listen and comment, as I most often do ...
But I understand the feeling, as I have often posted something with little response ...

#491728 - 03/16/20 01:23 PM Re: "Strings and Keys " - John Smies [Re: tony mads usa]
john smies Offline

thank you all guys for butting in here (again)...

I am sure you will get back to it after having listened to it in its entity and that others will follow suit. Like I said on the outset of this thread these are very, very trying times and I can well imagine there being other priorities than listening to yet another CD however well-meant. I have opted not to enter the Corona threads here for various reasons and hope to stick to it.
Rest assured I am extremely aware how dire the situation is and how much more it will even deteriorate, as such I am clinging to my music more than ever...Time galore, wish I could say the same for my health and anyone's health at that.Nonetheless making this album has been a delight ( and hard work) all the more so as I love playing the piano as well as the guitar but most of all I love singing !!!

regards,
John

#491768 - 03/17/20 01:32 AM Re: "Strings and Keys " - John Smies [Re: john smies]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi John
I can just imagine how much work was involved,but to create a compendium of music like that had to be rewarding.

I,like you,am acutely aware of the seriousness of all of this,but so lucky I have my music to immerse myself into. Sometimes, good things come out of the worst situations,and plan on turning my self containment to my best advantage through music.

Bernie

#491771 - 03/17/20 02:53 AM Re: "Strings and Keys " - John Smies [Re: john smies]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
John, your music and your post are precious – a man expressing his love through music. True, there should many more responses to the songs that are posted, but there is more. Knowing, and believing that what you are doing IS helping other people here in SZ. --- although they have not responded to your work.

I have dozens of cassette types, yes cassette tapes, I recorded when I was younger. They are recordings of me singing and playing guitar. Recordings of my first band, of my beginning as a OMB, and more. The cassettes have been in my garage about 12 years. I thought they might have dried up. Two of my cassette players no longer work.
Your post gave me enough incentive to buy a new player, sit in my porch and relive a precious part of my life.

Thank you John, John C.

#491774 - 03/17/20 04:32 AM Re: "Strings and Keys " - John Smies [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By bruno123
John, your music and your post are precious – a man expressing his love through music. True, there should many more responses to the songs that are posted, but there is more. Knowing, and believing that what you are doing IS helping other people here in SZ. --- although they have not responded to your work.

I have dozens of cassette types, yes cassette tapes, I recorded when I was younger. They are recordings of me singing and playing guitar. Recordings of my first band, of my beginning as a OMB, and more. The cassettes have been in my garage about 12 years. I thought they might have dried up. Two of my cassette players no longer work.
Your post gave me enough incentive to buy a new player, sit in my porch and relive a precious part of my life.

Thank you John, John C.

John maybe you can re-record some of those good times songs on cassette with your new arranger kbs.....
that would be an interesting fun project to undertake...

#491792 - 03/17/20 09:21 AM Re: "Strings and Keys " - John Smies [Re: Dnj]
john smies Offline

John C.

Extremely pleased and humbled at the same time that my new efforts have brought you pleasure and the desire to listen back to stuff that you recorded many moons ago.
Music is that what unites us here in the first place no matter how many instruments we may have or review.

Donny my friend, give me a break, although it took me about five weeks to record this CD , it took me I guess about five months to familiarize myself with the songs that I recorded.
Tried things out with different instruments and this is the ultimate result.
Too often and too much I have got stuck in the music of the sixties, why even on this CD I guess the bulk of songs goes back to that area, priceless and unique as it may be !!!
There are only four songs on it that relate to the last five years. So if you don't mind I am going to lean back and wait for you to show your magic with the Tyros 4 and your vocal qualities !!!!

regards,
John

P.S. thank you Bernie......

#491794 - 03/17/20 09:32 AM Re: "Strings and Keys " - John Smies [Re: john smies]
tony mads usa Offline

John Smies, I don't usually talk for someone else, but perhaps Donny was talking to John C about recording his cassettes using his keyboard ... just a thought ...

#491795 - 03/17/20 09:35 AM Re: "Strings and Keys " - John Smies [Re: john smies]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By john smies

There are only four songs on it that relate to the last five years. So if you don't mind I am going to lean back and wait for you to show your magic with the Tyros 4 and your vocal qualities !!!!

John sorry, and without argument,...
I am afraid you will be waiting forever
as I will never post another song I record
on SZ after what went down with certain people
on here and the reason I stepped away for a while.
You asked my opinion on your new CD, ...I gave it to you in private. I also said IMO your more suited for classic 60's
judging by your past recordings. That said have a nice day.

Edited by Dnj (03/17/20 09:38 AM)

#491797 - 03/17/20 09:36 AM Re: "Strings and Keys " - John Smies [Re: tony mads usa]
john smies Offline

Tony,

Well observed, my mistake, apologies.

regards
John

#491836 - 03/17/20 03:31 PM Re: "Strings and Keys " - John Smies [Re: john smies]
tony mads usa Offline

John S ... I've started to listen ...
First let me say that having put together a couple of CDs myself, I certainly appreciate what a daunting task it is, and you should be commended first for your labors ...
Now, in listening to any CD by any artist, the first thing that has to 'grab' me is the song itself - not the performer or the performance ... this can be difficult, especially if it is a song I've never heard before as is the case with a few here ... they will have to get a 're-listen' ...
For the 5 or 6 that I've listened to, I will repeat what some others have said about the good use of vocals, VH, instrumentation etc.

keep at it ...

#491838 - 03/17/20 03:43 PM Re: "Strings and Keys " - John Smies [Re: john smies]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Thank you John for sharing.
Looks like a mammoth task to put all those songs together.
We currently need stuff to help lift our spirits.
So thank you, truly appreciated.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#491860 - 03/18/20 01:20 AM Re: "Strings and Keys " - John Smies [Re: tony mads usa]
john smies Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
John S ... I've started to listen ...
First let me say that having put together a couple of CDs myself, I certainly appreciate what a daunting task it is, and you should be commended first for your labors ...
Now, in listening to any CD by any artist, the first thing that has to 'grab' me is the song itself - not the performer or the performance ... this can be difficult, especially if it is a song I've never heard before as is the case with a few here ... they will have to get a 're-listen' ...
For the 5 or 6 that I've listened to, I will repeat what some others have said about the good use of vocals, VH, instrumentation etc.

keep at it ...

Tony,
I see entirely eye to eye with you on the aspect of whether a song "grabs you or not ". And also the fact that you stated that if you are unfailiar with the song you have to give it a few hearings to actually decide whether it is your cup of tea or not. ( So keep listening smile :))

Over the last twenty years I have made more than 12 CDs which were heavily dominated by music from the sixties. After all, being 68 of age, my teens were in the sixties and I am forever grateful that they were.
Contrary to Donny's opinion on this ( and he knows I value his input) I do not want to stay locked up in the sixties. This new CD of mine not only harbours only six or seven songs that originated in the sixties, it also has three songs in my mother tongue (Dutch) which might need some clarification.

"Verdronken Vlinder " (literally: drowned butterfly) was a very famous protest song in the sixties here in Holland by Boudewijn de Groot. ( check it out on youtube). From the same performer was "Testament ". At the time he was the Dutch contemporary of Bob Dylan.... If you check out his original on youtube you will also notice the extreme difference in arrangement as far as my own recording of Verdronken Vlinder.

Three of the songs which will be unfamiliar to many in the USA but very well-known to all folks here in Europe and in the UK are by contemporary artist George Ezra. (check out his original version and video of Listen to the Man , which is hilarious !!!)

I am also happy and proud having arisen to the occasion of not focusing on the arranger keyboard but diversifying. And as stated on earlier occasions, though only a beginner, the amount of satisfaction that I derive from trying to play the piano ( and to a lesser degree) the acoustic guitar, is immense.
Thank all of you for your continued responses and comments,

regards,
John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online